Thursday 23 July 2009

What am I supposed to because at recess I want to hang out with my friend, but people on the field say so many bad words?

This is an excellent – and a tough – question. Based on my experience, here is one thing you might do. First, if kids are using bad language against you, just simply leave. You have to protect yourself from people who are trying to hurt you. (You might need to get an adult involved if these kids are really aggressive.)

Second, if you and your friend are just hanging out, and other kids are using bad language just to be cool, just ignore their language. Don’t ignore THEM, but ignore their LANGUAGE. Don’t react to it. Don’t copy them either. Most people use bad language (swearing or telling dirty jokes) to get attention. If you don’t give them attention, they often stop.

This is advice that would honor God. If you would like to sit down and talk more with me about this, I would be happy to chat with you. I hope this will help you a little, though. I’m proud of you for asking this question, and I appreciate the courage it takes to try to do the right thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment