Saturday 4 July 2009

How would Jesus live without food for 40 days? Wouldn’t He die of hunger?

This is an awesome question! I’m with you …that seems an awful long time to go without even some chips or some beef jerky or some sort of snack! I don’t think I could go 30 minutes without some Cheeto’s…

But, here’s the thing about fasting. If you trust God and are an obedient servant and occupy the time you would have spent eating with prayer and worshipping God, He will take care of your need for food. God has that divine ability. The key is, though, that you have to replace eating with worshipping God completely.

I heard a funny but cool saying the other day. It said that fasting without prayer is called…hunger! But prayer with fasting is called “feasting in a spiritual sense.”

You know, one of my favorite parts of that whole story is the last verse, Matthew 4:11, that reads, “Then the devil left Him, and angels came and attended Him.” That shows that, even though Jesus was God, He was also man and needed, for lack of a better term, “first aid.” It shows Jesus’ humanity. He was hungry, He was tired and He was mentally weary.

Aren’t you thankful that Jesus experienced these things and taught us from experience how to resist temptation, how to live, and, most importantly, how to love? I know I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment