Wednesday 21 October 2009

Why is God called “The Rock”?

God is referred to as a rock often in the Bible. You see the reference in both the Old and New Testaments. When the Bible talks about God being a rock, it is using a metaphor comparing two things that are alike. The Bible often uses metaphors to help us understand something. When God is referred to as a rock it represents constancy, strength, power, presence, a strong support, and refuge or a safe place that protects.

One of my favorite verses that refer to God as a rock is Psalm 18:2, it says “The Lord is my rock, my fortress, and my deliverer, my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge.” When David wrote the words of this Psalm he was going through hard times but he kept his focus on God. He found comfort and security knowing God was with him. David is a wonderful example to us.

We can (and should!) look to God as our rock, the one who is always there for us to protect and support us, and a place where we can find security.

No comments:

Post a Comment