Friday 28 August 2009

Why is it that when I was 7 I smoked because my dad did it?

I think you are telling me that because your dad smoked, you also tried it. If that is the case, I’ll bet you did it because you wanted to see what your dad was up to. It’s absolutely normal for a boy to want to be like his dad and do things his dad does. I did that too when I was a boy.

Now you are wiser than when you were 7, and you know that smoking is bad for you. I know that a lot of parents, and even kids, smoke – but no one really argues that its good for you, right?

You know what’s so very cool??? You are old enough now to make your own choices about stuff like this. In my opinion, there is enough difficult and painful and bad stuff in life so that I don’t also have to make a choice that hurts me. If I know that smoking is bad, then I don’t need to try again.

My dad smoked for most of his adult life, I tried it a little bit when I was younger too – I hated it. Now my dad has cancer. Maybe the cancer is not even from smoking, it doesn’t matter – I know I don’t want to smoke.

What about you? What’s your choice?

I hope this note helps you. I have a lot of faith in you, and a lot of love for you. I have really enjoyed these two years in TRACK with you. I hope that you will make good choices in the future. You will have many chances to make good or bad choices. If you ever have more questions like this, or you just need to sit and talk with me, just let me know. Even after you are out of TRACK, you are welcome to ask me any question you have.

1 comment: