Friday 12 February 2010

Can you talk to God, just you and Him, or can you just do it when you are praying?

Wow, what an awesome question!!! I love this question because most people assume that you only talk to God when you are praying. But, do you know what the Bible tells us to do? It tells us to pray without ceasing (1 Thessalonians 5:17).

Huh? Are you kidding me? We’re supposed to pray 24 hours a day, 7 days a week?!?! What are we…7/11? Well, no, not really! But what that really means is we should be constantly in fellowship with God, by conversation at all times by our thoughts, attitude, and our actions.

I often pray in my car on my way to work. But, I also ask God, throughout my day, for clarification on certain issues. For example, I’ll say to Him, “Wow, a job opportunity just came up. Do you think I should walk through that door, Lord?” Or, when faced with a problem at work, I’ll often ask God, “What should I do?” Or, if I need to discipline one of my kids, I’ll ask God to, “Please help me say the right things.”

None of the above are prayers, per se. They are just me talking to God and asking for His divine wisdom and guidance. And, it’s usually just me and God having a little one-on-one. Nothing fancy or ritualistic … just a short conversation for guidance.

Now, having said that … it’s also important to actually pray to God. It doesn’t have to be fancy either. But, sometime during your day, set aside a time when you can acknowledge God for who He is and thank Him for what He has given you. This is also the time to ask God for things too! The Bible assures us that God hears all prayers.

Just remember, though, God’s answer may not always be the answer you want. Sometimes God may just say “no” to you and He has a divine reason for it. We can’t always understand why He would say no, but know that He only has our best interests at heart and that He has a plan for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment